My mom was diagnosed with celiac’s disease last year and, since then, I’ve been trying my hand at different gluten free recipes for her. She loves food and this disease has been a bit of a hardship on her. Now my mother, God love her, is an incredibly picky eater so trying to find the right recipes has been trying, to say the least! Last week, we got together to celebrate my birthday and my sister’s birthday so I thought I’d try a gluten free carrot cake recipe I found at www.glutenfreecooking.about.com. HALLELUJAH, we have success! She loved it and even asked for the recipe! As a bonus, my husband (my dessert lover) loved it, too, and said he couldn’t tell that it was gluten free.
I mostly followed this recipe exactly other than using coconut oil instead of the olive or vegetable oil. Comments on the website noted that 1½ cups of oil seemed excessive and some thought the cake was a bit greasy. I didn’t want to end up with a dry cake so I measured 1½ cups of oil exactly this time. Though I didn’t find the cake too greasy, there was a little bit of a greasy texture (I made both a cake and cupcakes and really only noticed it when holding the cupcake; they didn’t taste greasy) so next time I will only use one cup of oil.
The frosting was delicious, but the recipe didn’t cover the whole cake and all of the cupcakes so I’d probably increase it next time. I don’t think you’d need to double it, but maybe increase it by ½.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups light olive oil OR your favorite vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix (also use 1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum to the recipe if the mix you are using doesn’t already contain one of them) (Note: I used King Arthur gluten free flour and 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free powdered sugar (See note)
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C Use two round 9-inch cake pans, one 9×13 pan or 36 muffin cups for this recipe. If using round cake pans, lightly grease and place a circle of parchment in the bottom of the pan for easy removal. Use paper lining cups if making cupcakes.
- Cream sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl with an electric beater or stand mixer. Add oil and vanilla and beat just until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until blended.
- Stir in grated carrots and nuts. Pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. For muffins, reduce baking time to 30-35 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test. Cool on a wire rack.
- While cake or muffins are cooling place butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- When cake is cool frost.
P.S. If anyone has a delicious gluten free recipe out there, please feel free to share here and, thank you!